What can you say about the Flemish or Netherlandish influence on Spanish baroque?
That is a really interesting question and topic. Flemish influence on Spanish painting played a relevant role in the development of some of its celebrated characteristics. A detailed answer would be worthy of a book, so I’ll write my answer in a few brushtrokes:
· Isabella Clara Eugenia (daughter of King Philip II) and Cardinal-Infante Ferdinand (son of King Philip III, and brother of King Philip IV), Governors of the Spanish Netherlands, became important patrons of the arts. They employed Flemish painters (Rubens, Jan Brueghel the Elder, Gaspar de Crayer, Van Dyck…) and commissioned them to paint monumental works, cabinet paintings, and royal portraits. Many of those artworks were sent to the Spanish court.
· Powerful nobility became prominent art collectors of Flemish paintings (the Duke of Lerma, the Marquis of Leganés, the Count-Duke of Olivares…). Rubens said on the Marquis: “…is one of the greatest connoisseurs of this age”.
· The rise of still-life painting (“bodegones”) in Spain (Van der Hamen, Hiepes, El Labrador, Sánchez Cotán, Arellano, Solís), also reflects collectors’ desires to approximate to Flemish style.
· Flemish art spread throughout Spain via the printmaking. Spanish artists such as Pacheco or Zurbarán used to adapt scenes from several Flemish prints, and borrowed poses and compositions from Flemish sources. Those prints became really important for artists studios and pupils workshops.
· Rubens made several trips to Spain (1603 / 1628) and was knighted by Philip IV in 1624. During his last stay in Spain, he even befriended Diego Velázquez .
· Van Dyck’s influence (even though he never visited Spain) had a major role in the style and inspiration of Murillo, and court painters such as Juan Carreño de Miranda, and Claudio Coello.
- Thanks for the question!Tags: #Spanish art #art history #Baroque art #Baroque #Flemish art #history #17th century #art
- saturnsdaughter likes this
- capitolking likes this
- ubu507 likes this
- labelledamesansdice likes this
- picassorose likes this
- saenzdesantamaria likes this
- antitacta likes this
- portrait-woolf likes this
- badbirdbrain likes this
- rudimick likes this
- atna2 likes this
- pixandum likes this
- espill likes this
- qamarism likes this
- spanishbaroqueart posted this